On 2020-12-15 15:37, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

I test drove a 2014 E250 Bluetec sedan and it had the auto shutoff
feature at idle.  Very strange sensation.  Brake on - shuts off.
Brake off - engine restarts.

A few years later, you need a new starter.

I was surprised, when shopping for an engine for my 2016-2019 Cruze, the nearest one I found had already had its starter pulled and sold. I was surprised anybody would want one already.
And yes, it's beefed up for start-stop.

The Cruze 1.4L burns about .28GPH at idle.
I seem to recall hearing that 1.6IDI VWs pulled about a pint an hour.
I have no idea what a modern CDI 3 liter consumes.

I suspect the main reason for putting start-stop in a diesel is to avoid idling, which isn't good for the emissions system.