Alex Chamberlain wrote:
Listers,

What is the advantage of synthetic oil over conventional in a differential,
manual transmission, or similar mechanism, as opposed to in an engine where
the ability to suspend combustion byproducts is critical?  Is it just that
the synthetic is less viscous when cold, or is it likely to decrease
friction and wear significantly over the whole operating temperature range?
Or something else?  Does anybody have any anecdotal evidence from M-Bs or
anything else of, say, differentials appearing to last longer because they
had Mobil 1 in them?

I'm asking because I need to change the oil in the front and rear
differentials, transfer case, and manual transmission in my Isuzu (supposed
to be done every 30K and who knows when the moron PO did it last), and I'm
trying to decide whether to just put any old thing in there or spring for
all Mobil 1 products.  (5W30 is specified for the tranny and transfer case,
and 80W90 for the diffs.  The rear diff is limited-slip.)

Quality synthetics are desirable whenever longest life and lowest friction are desirable. In my experience, the effect in an automobile differential is less dramatic than in transmissions or much less apparent in engine oil, but still desirable. Under most conditions, in a passenger car I expect conventional lubricants are entirely satisfactory.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)