I'd say "yes" on the IRA, and make it a Roth IRA so the withdrawals are tax
free (in retirement).  Also, because he's paying income tax on the
contributions, the rules for a Roth give you the option of withdrawing the
contributions with no penalty or additional taxes if needed.  Best of both
worlds.

Use Vanguard, they are the least expensive for index funds.  Get the total
stock market index fund and start putting a couple hundred dollars a month in
to it.

Max Dillon
Charleston SC