To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fuel Injector Life

I assume you are talking about your diesel.  Even on OM 621 engines, the
injector nozzles would last 150-200k miles.  On my 603, I replaced the
nozzles at 300k, on principle, not because I could prove they were bad.  I
would guess you should look for 300-500K on yours, based on better
machining and better metallurgy than 30 years ago.

The 240D had about 220k on the clock when i put new nozzles in when i
rebuilt the engine.  Those nozzles were tested and were bad.  Kinda low
miles if the odometer was accurate.  My guess is that the car had more
miles, but who knows?  It may have racked up 150 k running short hops in
Dallas and never left town.  On the diesel injector, only the nozzle is
replaced, and it is shimmed to pressure spec.  The nozzle holder can stay,
as it has no bearing on the performance of the nozzle. Rusty sells rebuilt injector assemblies, so you send in your old ones, holder and all. That is
what I did on the 603.  Unless one is nailing and does not clear, you
probably don't need to worry until you hit 250-300k, then get them tested.