Yeah, well you are dealing with Mr. Obstinate here... Mike sold me the car
as a parts car, but I was so impressed with the shape it was in, I went
ahead and put money into it to get it inspected and onto the road, and I
drove it for a few months.

Pigheaded or not, however, I learned what little I know about these cars
from guys on the lists who have over and over told me that it's damn hard to
kill these motors. Over and over I have heard advice to get the car set up
right, then DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE it until it works right again. So I am loathe
to throw in the towel on this one.

As much as I respect this older wrench who is saying one cylinder is done, I
also respect the guys (like Todd Knutson, if he's still here) who have
persisted and got 'dead' engines going again. Actually, I did it myself
twice, once with a 300sd pronounced to have a bad pump, also with an older
gas Volvo with a straight six that smoked as bad as this diesel, when I got
it.

The only catch here is that, if the ring is unseated, I guess I risk making
a complete mess of the cylinder wall.

Cheerio

Mac