Check for split hoses, missing or torn gas cap gasket, and cracked plastic
parts.  Any of them will give you fits, the tank does NOT vent out the cap (or
in, for that matter), all venting is through the evaporative control system.

You will need to verify the operation of all the valves too, as failures can
cause vacuum leaks (which is what you have and is setting the CEL) -- also make
sure the charcoal cartridge is not plugged with crud, air gets drawn through it
to clear the gasoline out of the charcoal and if the vent surface is clogged,
you will have excess fuel since it's not being drawn off.

Big PITA, but when it works it works well.

I need to check the system on the TE, I'm pretty sure some of my running issues
are a clogged vent line.  Perfect size for mud daubers around here, just like
weedeaters.