You can do as much damage with a DA buffer as a rotary of you don’t know what
you’re doing.

However, using a DA is far easier for the novice and the resources for how to
use one are plentiful. The material you use is critical as well. I try ti stick
with 3M or Meguire’s materials, as they’re the most “honest” as I’ve found as
far as performance.

The best approach to cleaning up a finish is to start in an obscure area, like
the right rear door so if you screw up you don’t have to look at it every time
you walk up to the car, and begin with the least aggressive material and move
up gradually until you obtain the results you want.

The single stage paints that Mercedes used during this time period are
extremely forgiving and easy to work with. I’ve recovered finishes on cars of
this vintage that others have refused to touch.

-D