Best thing to do is crank the engine without letting it start to build oil
pressure.  You can just pull the wire off the coil.  Many mechanics do this
when changing the oil so the engine doesn’t run without pressure to the
tensioner.

Even better, remove the plugs also and crank it.  The engine will spin
quickly with the starter and build oil pressure quickly.

Jaime

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 10:05 PM Dimitri Seretakis via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I have a friend with a 560SEC which he hasn’t started in two years. Is it
> a valid concern that the tensioner may have lost tension due to sitting for
> so long? Is there a way to prime it without removing valve cover? Are there
> any precautions he should take before starting?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> --
Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/