I bought this pretty nice 04E500 recently for $900, the transmission is in limp mode, although one time I drove it the thing shifted OK, weird.  Code seems to be for conductor plate.  It has airmatic but is not a 4matic, it is throwing a code for the RR shock but it seems to be working OK, might just have a leak.  I'll probably open up the tranny and check on the conductor plate and connectors, change fluid and filter and see what is going on.

As far as 4m goes, my 05E320 wagon with 4m makes kinda gronching noises in reverse, I will open it up at some point and see if it a bearing or chain or what.  You can buy the whole bearing and chain rebuild kit for like $250 if I recall, and doesn't seem to be a big job.  Would be interesting to see what this guy had done and what his complaint is.  If it something that seems serious, I wouldn't go much more than $2k on the car, he probably wouldn't entertain that.  But good for him on the honesty.

--FT