Long time without a post!

Given info from US FDA on size of phase 3 clinical trials the Pfizer study
is a close second to J&J.  Phase 3 is the last step to collect data before
one could apply for clearance to use in the US:

Pfizer: 43.651 (Combined phase 2/3)
https://www.fda.gov/media/144416/download (Table

Moderna: 30,418
https://www.fda.gov/media/144434/download  (Table 1)

J&J/Janssen: 44.325
https://www.fda.gov/media/146217/download   (Table 5)

While the Pfizer study was a combined phase 2/3 study (w/FDA blessing),
phase 2 studies are relatively small- for example, ~2k people in the
Moderna Phase 2.   If you have good data and are addressing an urgent need
you can ask FDA to combine a phase 2 and phase 3.  If they like your data,
they're likely to give you the green light.

While not common, this approach has been used with previous disease states
and drugs.

I'll echo what was said before- if you can get a shot, take what you can
get.  The differences in efficacy are minor compared to the risk of
covid...esp w/the new variants swimming around.

Tony Wirtel
...still Benzless

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 Kaleb Striplin wrote