Ha!  Got this one figured out yesterday after the noticing my reverse lights
weren't working, and knowing the horn seemed to periodically not work that
well.  Check the fuses, and sure enough, there's one blown that handles the
horn, reverse lights AND ACC heater something...  Pop a new fuse in TADA!
cold air again!
Glad I didn't start hacking into the monovalve.  (:

Levi

On 5/16/06, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jim Cathey wrote:
>> It's trying as hard as it can not to put out cold air, and waits
>> till the engine temp picks up and then blows in hot air...
>
> Sounds like it thinks it's supposed to heat, but on MIN it's supposed
> to not heat at all.  It could be that the pushbutton array has bad
> solder joints and/or switch contacts inside, it's certainly something
> that happens on these.  Easy enough to repair, usually, but requires
> decent disassembly and soldering skills.  When that's what is broken,
> the ACC system basically goes insane.

The cabin temp sensor (that is activated by air drawn past it along the
hose to the cabin temp sensor in the dash by venturi effect from the
blower) must have cabin air drawn past it by the blower to operate the
temperature controller that turns the monovalve and compressor on and
off. If air isn't drawn past the sensor, it measures the temperature of
the stagnant air being warmed/cooled by the dashboard assembly as cabin
temp and acts accordingly. That results in erratic temperature control
Of course, that should not be of any concern if the temp controller is
set at MAX or MIN.

Not sure what the spectrum of symptoms are when the temp control module
(not the push button controller) fails.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)