As someone involved in the security side of things, I am aware of this
incident, which was due to a ransomeware attack. These exploit the ignorance of
humans to be successful, which is the weakest part of the whole system. If we
relied solely on hardware and software solutions for security we would be far
better off. When the human element is factored in, all bets are off.

You can’t imagine the stupid, idiotic stuff people do or get coerced to do. I
see this stuff all the time, and it never ceases to amaze me.

If I get the right person to respond to my efforts, I’m in and ready to wreak
havoc.

In a case like this, the best thing to do is completely shut down and start
methodically bringing things up with trusted/clean hardware and images. It
takes time, but I assume this is what the transmission line folks are doing.

-D