Exactly. But they have been known to show up in person if you dodge them. I
worked for a guy who failed to pay his employee’s withholding taxes for some
time, and regularly dodged the collection calls. One day (after I had left his
employ) a GSA car rolls up, two IRS employees get out, walk in, tell everyone
to leave after which they padlocked the doors and posted an order of attachment.

“Vishing” is the practice of calling someone and claiming to be someone you’re
not to get money out of them, such as posing as an IRS agent and threatening
the recipient with arrest if they don’t whip out their credit card and pay the
“taxes owed”.

“Voice phishing”.

-D