From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 3:08 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] a car for lt don - this one is off topic

Well, we could always offer them positions in the military where they could
get educations and later assistance and a shot at citizenship, and they
could go down to the border and help keep out the illegals ---- oops, wait,
nevermind.

Aslo, I am sure Mexico has excellent colleges and free tuition for their
citizens who wish to avail themselves, and medical care, and housing, and
social security, and....

--R (reporting from Norte Mexico)

BillR wrote:

You also might want to take a look at how much the USA benefits from the 'brain drain' of so many other countries. I heard part of that NPR program, and from the part I heard it was talking about top students who would be a help to this country. Take all of the 'foreign' physicians, chemists, engineers, mathematicians, etc. out of the U.S. and see what happens. I have a lot less problem helping the smart ones get an education here - and learning about the USA and probably wanting to stay - than I do with the waste in our public schools, forcing 90% of our kids to put up with rather deplorable conditions in our middle and high schools, and even college, because the other 10% have to be there, no matter how disruptive. I'd like to see competitive exams for academic middle and high schools for anyone who wants to go to them; vocational training and general information schools for the rest. Tossing smart undocumented kids out or trying to keep them an uneducated underclass, when it is our business who wants them here, is working against our long term interests. Current policy has many thousands
of college/grad students going elsewhere in the world to study.  Our loss.
Big loss for our influence in the world in years to come.
Enough of rant, I guess. Partly brought on because my granddaughter is going to school in Antigua this year, and in her [elementary school] teaching time does not need to be wasted with discipline. The other students take care of that if anyone tries to deny them the opportunity to learn something. Teachers do not have trouble with students, except trying to get any type of break during the day because students are always after them to do extra drills during lunch and recess. Can you imagine that in our schools? I can imagine it ...
BillR
Jacksonville  FL
1981 300SD  EM  275K