That could be a really nice car if it isn't rusted out, and the carbs
are OK. I don't know what else to look for ----

The 230SL was the first of that body style.  As the car evolved into the 250
and 280SL is got more and more advanced equipment.  Most notably are disc
brakes - the 230 had (I think) 4 wheel drum brakes and the 250 got disc
fronts with drum rears and the 280SL finally got 4 wheel discs brakes.
There's other evolutions also - such as carbs to fuel inj. -  you get the
idea -

The prices of the latest 280SL were in the mid teens for a nice driver about
10 years ago when I got serious about buying one.  The 250 were a little
less and the 230 even less.

Given that 10 years has passed I beleive $5k is too low and indicates either
a soft market or some problem with this car.  Of course, there's still 3+
days left on the auction so there may be many more bidders over the next few
days which will either drive the price into the reasonable area or - worse
for you, good for the seller - send the car into the "too much for a 230SL
terrotory" making it not worthwhile to consider.

BTW, -- Parts for these cars were *always* on the expensive side.  And some
were hard to find but MB Classic would probably help out - for a price. ;-)

Good luck-

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info