I bought one to use specifically as a plastic welder. Temp control adds
just the right extra control to stitch various thickness plastics back
together. Temp control and proper fill rod material with a bit of practice
and I've now added plastic welding to my "Repair Skills CV".
I grind my own tip shapes to accommodate the particular repair. Started
with a regular pencil type solder gun, and soon wanted better heat
control..