Guy says it is a transmission controller (called an Intelligent Servo Module or some such) that is keeping the thing from shifting into gear ("stuck in neutral").  Looking at them it seems they are another module that is coded to the car and is readily available but will need to be flashed to match the car.  I checked with a local shop, they can do it but only if they do the whole install, I did not get a price on it.  I might check around and see what other options there are.  The unit itself is not particularly expensive as these things go (some $few100) so for maybe $1k could get it sorted.  Kinda like the TCM on the 722.9 in the 05E500, $850 flashed.  I saw a posting on BW where a guy had a stealer do it some years ago for $1300.

The car looks pretty nice, relatively low miles (120k) kinda weird colors but oddly compelling.  A newer big Benz speaks to me... I'm trying to see what is involved in getting a new ISM.  The guy selling it has been communicative so that is a good sign, I think he is pissed at the car and just wants to be done with it.  The car is about 4hr away so I am considering a little road trip this weekend... take the scanner and see what else might be going on with it and beat on the guy some more although the price might be quite reasonable, considering.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/438784127525876

--
--FT