In my experience with a W123 you need somewhat "sticky" tires. If you buy the
ones on sale at the local tire chain with the good mileage warranty, you will
be spinning your tires in the rain and going nowhere in the snow.

If you have neither rain nor snow, I guess you are OK with pretty much anything.

Allan