To paraphrase what Jim said, electronic control is not synonymous with
computer control. Or, analog vs. digital systems.
Now, I don't have any idea of when the switch from analog controls to
digital controls happened for anything.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:50 PM Jim Cathey via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> 'Computers' is a nebulous term.  I think it's more germane to talk about
> what I once was taught to be 'operational definitions'.  What you don't
> want are electronics in the car that are specific to that model/year,
> and/or
> must be customized (via computer) in order to work in the car.  You also
> don't want something that is unaccountably fragile.
>
> In other words, it's OK for it to be a 'computer' if you can get another
> one at
> the junkyard, out of a similar car, and it's likely to work as-is in your
> car rather
> than itself being the thing that put the car into the junkyard in the
> first place.
>
> For Mercedes, that means W126/W201 or older.  Possibly including W210,
> not sure about W140 or R129 as things are getting fuzzier there and I have
> no direct experience.  Certainly nothing newer.
>
> My 1997 Dodge diesel has a computer.  In this particular vehicle I think
> it runs
> the glow plugs and the alternator's voltage regulator.  Maybe the
> front-only ABS.
> Basically nothing that couldn't be rigged around or done without.  The '96
> V10
> computer also runs the ignition, fuel, and the transmission shifting,
> which is certainly
> more critical.  OTOH, _any_ year V10 computer will probably work as a
> replacement,
> as-is, so...
>
> So, decide what hazard you're trying to avoid, exactly, and then it'll
> become more
> obvious what vehicles to avoid.
>
> -- Jim

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!