your aux fan is not kicking in, the better approax would to jump the swith so it runs all the time for now ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Smyla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 6:56 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Quick fix for freewheeling fan clutch

My SO alerted me to the fact that the 300SDL coolant temp has been running
anywhere between 80 and 120 as of late. (She won't let me drive the diesel
because she likes it better than the 560SEL).  I thought she was imagining
things, but a 10 mile drive at 70MPH proved her right.  Turns out that the
fan clutch isn't locking up, and the airflow over the radiator with the A/C
running and the engine under a moderate load causes the coolant temp to
creep up to levels that I'm not comfortable with. We're faced with a drive
from NC to NJ in the morning, and of course nobody around here stocks a
replacement clutch. Don't want to drive the 560 because it drinks too much of the high priced gas. I went to the local Advance Auto for ideas. While browsing, I remembered that one of the round 'donut' exhaust hangers on the
560 muffler had broken. I grabbed one off the shelf to replace it, and I
suddenly noticed that it was the perfect size to sandwich between the fan
clutch and water pump pulley.  Freewheeling fan clutch problem solved!
Looks like I'll be able to make my trip in the diesel without worry of
cracking the head. Sure enough, after installing the donut between the fan
clutch and the pump pulley, it locked up the fan clutch perfectly, with no
slippage.  Wonder how long it'll last?

-brian