We were planning an all Diesel MB trip to the arctic circle IIRC in the
1990's or early 2000's - we being the members of this forum. Never
happened, but it was discussed.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 6:08 AM dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I thought the AlCan was completely paved now?
>
> When I used to do work in Fairbanks it was rare to see a car or truck
> without a cracked windshield, especially if you drove the haul road up to
> the Yukon (that ultimately went to Prudhoe Bay).
>
> -D
>
> > On Nov 9, 2021, at 10:13 PM, Clay via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Depends on how fast you want to drive.  SWMBA made the trip up from SEA
> with #1 boy as co-driver.  I think they stopped every night.  August, so
> still some late light, but not much past 8pm.  Took them five days one way.
> >
> > She made another transit down AlCan with her mutt. A week with camping
> along the roadway in June, so left with around 20 hours of daylight,
> arriving to 18 hours.  Heading south took a week.  Driving back, she took
> five days to Prince Rupert, took the AK ferry to Skagway, then along the
> Klondike Hwy to Whitehorse and back onto AlCan, for another two days before
> getting back to ANC.
> >
> > The drive from ANC to FAI is around 800 miles round trip.  From FAI to
> Deadhorse is another 400, oneway.  Roundtrip in a day seems reasonable.
> Were I driving up from the lower 48, I would go with a well suspended 126
> LWB, or a W140 for real lux accommodations.  The SDL would handle to
> unpaved sections of the AlCan without giving you massive back trouble or
> rump rictus.  Not sure how well the W124 would take the beating of pocked
> gravel road at 50mph for long long stretches.
> >
> > Clay
> >

> > inter urinas et faeces nascimur
> >
> >> On Nov 9, 2021, at 5:40 PM, Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The other day I saw a post from some guy on fakebook who drove a 560SEL
> from Anchorage to the arctic circle in back within 24 hours.  That got me
> to thinking it would be a great monumental road trip to drive to Anchorage
> and back from here in some sort of diesel Mercedes.  Perhaps my 210.  Maybe
> the GL but it being much more complicated it would be harder to try to
> repair it on the road.  Maybe get an older 124 or 126 diesel ready for it.
> My brother drove down here in a uhaul once when he moved down here from
> there.  Might have to wait until I retire or until i can manage to get 3+
> weeks off at a time.  Not sure how much time it would take to do such a
> trip.

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!