I would offer $500 to haul it off, then see if you can jumper the starter relay if the key will turn and the lights will come on the dash.  If the lights don't come on then it might be the DAS ring (find one at the knacker) or the AAM (all activity module?) which enables start, those are a bit trickier to sort out.  Or maybe the key battery has gone bad, although the "mickey mouse" regular key should work if the DAS/AAM are working.  there are some diagnostic procedures to go through for that problem.  Sometimes even a weak battery can cause the mayhem.

I spent hours chasing a similar problem in the $675ML500, turned out it was the actual ignition switch, a $25 part not hard to change.

You would need the fancy computer to get this sorted but it is doable; hence, a cheap offer as you don't actually know what the issues are and what it would cost to turn it into other than a brick at this point.

As for the cats, if you don't need them get a muffler shop to weld in some pipe and call it good, although the ECU might not be happy and you might need to do some fooling of the O2 sensor nanny.  If you can get the car running, you can buy aftermarket cats too, might be worth it if the car is nice enough and you want to keep it and don't mind putting the money into it.

Can't tell what it actually is?  320?  Whatever it looks fairly nice even though realtor spec.

--FT