Maybe I could get lucky and not replace the expansion valve?

If it's just plugged and there's not a hose full of crap
coming out of the compressor (indicating that it was the
source of pluggage), likely you don't need to replace it either.

And I should have been more clear that I'm talking about
the compressor here.  If it ain't broke don't fix it!

There are really only two places where plugging can occur,
ignoring physical damage to a line.  The expansion valve,
and the receiver/drier.  These both feature screens and/or
small orifices.  If the drier's desiccant bag breaks it
can travel downstream and plug up the expansion valve.

Now this is very obvious crap right? (can be easily identified?)

I should think so.  I have personally never seen it, but
the term 'black death' has been used a lot.

-- Jim