Most dealers don't cover the extended warranty themselves - it's basically
an insurance policy. The insurance company is spreading the risk among many
customers, most of whom will not use it.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 1:59 PM Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Great story, although I predict that dealer will be out of business by the
> end of the year.
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 2:53 PM Donald Snook via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > I imagine most people on here wouldn’t buy an extended warranty. And I
> > have never bought one before.  But, back in September I decided I needed
> an
> > SUV.  We went on a family vacation and taking the dog, kids, stuff, etc
> we
> > didn’t have much room in my car.
> >
> > I bought a 2014 Lexus GX 460. It’s not the biggest SUV, but it is still
> > full size and three rows.  I bought it with only 39,000 miles from the
> > local BMW dealer.  They offered to sell me an extended warranty and I
> > immediately said no.  Then, I wondered what crazy number they were going
> > quote me.  They said $2000 for 4 years and 48,000 miles — on top of the
> > miles it already had.  I started thinking with an 8 year old vehicle
> things
> > like an alternator or a starter or power window motors are going to fail.
> > None of those are outrageous, but a few repairs here and there and it’s
> not
> > hard to get to $2000. This is the zero deductible top of the line
> coverage.
> >
> > I got an oil change last week and they called me and said the timing
> cover
> > is leaking oil and said $3000 to fix. BUT,  I had the warranty.  They
> > covered it. I watched the video on how to do it. ALL the stuff in front
> has
> > to come off. It’s a huge job.
> >
> > I picked up my car at lunch and it’s all done and it cost me nothing. I
> > only mention this because it is so rare that a car extended warranty
> (other
> > than CPO) actually works out.
> >
> > Donald H. Snook

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!