Gas turbine powered generation systems are usually a ground power version
of a large passenger jet engine. The most common use is for several of the
systems to be located around a nuke plant, or a large coal plant [both of
those systems have long lead times to bring them on line and produce output.
The Gas turbine engine can be started in minutes and be driving large
generators in minutes to catch peak load requirements.. As peak load
increases, more Gas Turbine "generator sets" are brought on line, as peak
load requirement becomes less, the total output can be managed by taking
them off line.
Gas Turbine fuel systems are designed and built for a specific fuel type
and flow rate, so reconfiguring to handle several different types of fuel
is not practical..
Europe is in a hurt box because its supply of natural gas is from Russia,
and Russia has shut them off because EU embargoed Russia over Ukraine
invasion, etc etc.... Gas Turbines will run on natural gas if the fuel
system is configured for it... or kerosene, if the fuel system is
configured for it... or diesel, or even ship bunker fuel.. if the fuel
system is configured for it... But such configuration changes are very
expensive. A set of fuel nozzles for large gas turbines would run
approximately $1,000,000, and Injection Control Pumps another $1,000,000,
for each engine.
Russia is in a hurt box, because the turbine pump they need to pump natural
gas can't be delivered because of the war embargo, and parts to complete
it's build are setting in Kansas [last I heard]
Supply chain issues.. it's broken down... due to covid, war, etc etc etc...