46 years ago today I was sitting in a large conference room at NASA Langley where we had a live feed off the big antennas that were tuned into the Viking 1 Mars Lander. We were waiting to see the first transmission from Mars. There was a clock counting when it would arrive if the Lander had successfully landed and the camera started working and transmitting. When the first pixel of the picture came through at "0:00:00" it was huge joy and relief.

7 years before that on this same day I sat watching a black and white TV tuned into the network station, watching a transmission of the first pictures from a manned spacecraft on the surface of the Moon, and then later on the first steps of a human on another world. It still seems like both events just happened

--FT