The only French cars I ever saw in the midwest were the 1980s-era Renault-based
Alliance and Encore that were made by AMC but sold as Renaults. While these
cars got some good reviews at the time, they were underpowered and didn't sell
well. I remember them as market failures.

Seeing a Peugeot of any vintage around here is extremely uncommon.