Well the hydrocarbons are legal in about every other country

David Brodbeck wrote:

Peter Frederick wrote:

The propane is vastly more explosive than the oil -- this is, in fact, why hydrocarbon refrigerants are illegal in cars, not because they don't work well (very low temp cryo freezers run pentane, I belive, or propane, for the low temp part), but because of the explosion hazard.

On the other hand, many people put large quantities of gasoline in their
cars, which forms an explosive mixture even more readily than propane. And quite a few people (myself included) have driven around in RVs with
*gallons* of propane on board in exposed, external tanks, often with the
tank valve open and a propane-fired refrigerator running.  I'm sure
there's some risk of explosion, but it's hard for me to see this as a
major issue.

I suspect part of the reason that hydrocarbon refrigerants are illegal
is because the companies that own the patents on the non-hydrocarbon
ones have a certain amount of monetary influence over the regulatory
agencies.  I've always thought it was a little suspicious that R12 was
banned just as the patent was expiring.