When I put the tow hitch on my Volvo, I bought a separate light controller for
the trailer lights. It plugs into the car's factory wiring harness for the
taillights, so no cutting or splicing wires, and has an independent power
connection. It doesn't appreciably change the load on the car's lighting, so
the "bulb-out" nannies are happy, and it handles LED or incandescent trailers
fine as it's just supplying 12v signals. Mine has a 4-pin flat connector for
the trailer.