Jim Cathey wrote:
> The conventional wisdom is that a greasable joint, properly
> serviced, will outlast the sealed kind.  But they're never
> properly serviced, and so never do.  Everybody stopped
> designing them in and reliability went up.

This same theory has extended to wheel bearings, on some modern cars.
On my Honda Civic the front wheel bearings were in a sealed, integral
knuckle/hub/bearing assembly and weren't designed to be repacked.  If
they went bad, you replaced the whole assembly.  In practice I'm sure
the service life is longer than for a typical non-sealed bearing,
because hardly anyone seems to service wheel bearings before they start
to make noise.