Some weeks back, I thought I had a turbo problem with my 82 300SD and got
good advice from several on this list, esp. Jim and Kaleb.

The symptoms were low power that I finally realized was fuel starvation
(unable to maintain speed on highway, especially uphill) that only began
after traveling several miles at highway speed.  I suspect that some driving
was required to agitate enough crud off the bottom of the tank to plug all
the area of the in-tank filter screen.

Turns out the turbo (and all associated stuff) is fine.  The problem was
very dirty fuel that plugged up the in-tank strainer.  The fix was to drain
and wash all the crud out of the tank, change fuel filters, and fresh
(clean) fuel.  There was so much debris in the tank that it plugged up my
topsider when I tried to suck the fuel out of the gage hole on top of the
tank.  After I drained the tank and removed the strainer, I could still see
plenty of crud in the bottom of the tank. I tried a garden hose with limited
success and finally used my pressure washer to loosen and flush the crud
from the tank.  Then I used a shop vac on blow to dry up the water.  This
took several hours.  A road test today confirmed that the fix worked.  By
the way, the fuel gage sensor was all gooked up inside too.

I have not been driving this car much for the last 6 months so I suppose it
could be diesel bugs, but I don't think so.  Most if the debris was
visible-size chunks of stuff, like rust crumbs, for example.  The problem
started suddenly on the way home from a weekend trip shortly after
refueling.  So I suspect I got a load of dirty fuel at that last fuel stop.

As a final amusing note, I found the bottom disk and nut from a fuel gage
sensor in the debris that came out of the tank so it looks like the sensor
self-disassembled for some previous owner.

Scott Ritchey
Kittrell NC
1982 300SD 220K
1979 300TD 350K