I toured the abandoned prison in Rawlins, WY.  Spooky experience.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60539-d107374-Reviews-Wyoming_Frontier_Prison-Rawlins_Wyoming.html

The eighty year history of Wyoming’s first state penitentiary, now known as
the Wyoming Frontier Prison, is as colorful and elaborate as the plot of a
classic western movie. The cornerstone of the prison was laid in 1888, but
due to funding issues and Wyoming’s notorious weather, the doors wouldn’t
open for thirteen years. In December of 1901, the prison opened and
consisted of 104 cells (Cell Block A), no electricity or running water, and
very inadequate heating. Throughout the prison’s operation, approximately
13,500 people were incarcerated, including eleven women. Overcrowding was
an almost constant concern, and the first of several additions to the
penitentiary was completed in 1904, adding 32 cells to the west end of the
original cell block (Cell Block A). Women were housed in the prison until
1909, until the last woman was transferred to Colorado. The addition of the
second cell block (Cell Block B) in 1950 temporarily relieved the
overcrowding, and also included solitary confinement cells, a much more
efficient heating system, and hot running water which wouldn’t be installed
in the original cell block for another twenty-eight years. A maximum
security addition (Cell Block C) was completed in 1966, but the addition
only included thirty-six cells and was reserved for serious discipline
cases. The prison was equipped with several different means of disciplining
inmates throughout its operation, including a dungeon, several variations
of solitary confinement and a “punishment pole” to which men were
handcuffed and whipped with rubber hoses. The prison also used different
execution methods.. The first two executions were carried out using the
“traveling” Julien Gallows which were used to hang Tom Horn in Cheyenne in
1903. In 1916, the penitentiary completed the addition of a “death house”
which consisted of six cells to house inmates on death row, and a unique
indoor version of the Julien Gallows. The building also housed the gas
chamber when it was chosen to replace hanging as Wyoming’s execution method
of choice in 1936. Ultimately 14 death sentences were carried out; nine men
were hanged, and five were executed in the gas chamber by the use of
hydrocyanic acid gas. The Wyoming Frontier Prison is a remnant of the
grizzly past of the old west, but not every aspect of prison life was so
off-putting. Over the 80-year operation, the prison produced goods to meet
demands of four major industries. From 1901 through 1917 the prison had a
broom factory, but inmates burned it down during a riot. The factory was
rebuilt and operated as a shirt factory which brought in twice the revenue
to the state. In 1934, a federal law was passed to prohibit the sale and
transportation of prison manufactured goods from one state to another,
which resulted in the loss of significant revenue when the factory closed.
In 1935, the factory began operating as a woolen mill which won the “Navy
E” in 1942 for the superior quality blankets produced by the prison for the
military during World War II. In 1949 the prison changed production one
last time, producing license plates until the penitentiary closed in 1981.
After serving the state for eighty years, the prison closed its doors, and
sat abandoned until 1987 when a low budget movie titled “Prison” was filmed
on location. The movie was one of Viggo Mortensen’s first and featured
several other well known actors. Significant damage was done to the prison
grounds during filming because it had yet to be considered a historic site.
In 1988, a joint powers board assumed ownership of the penitentiary, dubbed
it The Wyoming Frontier Prison, and established it as a museum. The Wyoming
Frontier Prison has since been listed on The National Registry of Historic
Places, and offers tours to approximately 15,000 visitors annually.