The battery and motor on this one are not very powerful, it appears the idea was to help launch the car from a standstill, give a little boost until the engine (a V6) was needed, make it feel a little peppier maybe.  Since most drivers of these things (I am extrapolating from like 3 or 4 I have seen) are geezers who probably have no clue whatsoever, and care nothing about performance, but they were cheaper and would get better fuel mileage on the way to visit the grandkids, so that was the attraction. And maybe the feel-good of "hybrid" warms their green souls.  And maybe it would boost MB's CAFE a bit so we could get S65s and what not.

--FT

On 11/11/22 1:20 PM, mitch--- via Mercedes wrote:
On 2022-11-11 13:03, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
Hybrids don't help much if any on the highway.

Best they can do is allow a taller cruising gear with fewer downshifts.
But "highway cycle" ratings aren't steady state cruise. Although they might have been 45 years ago when small cars with carburetors got 40+ EPA hwy and 35+ on actual freeway trips.

--FT