I suggest you do a complete inspection of the lathe which gives careful
attention to the following items:
1. Condition of the bed ways. Look for wear points, damage from a crash
[most common in the area under the chuck] but it could be anywhere along
the bed travel of the center rest, or the tail stock.
2. Condition of the gibs everywhere there are gibs. These are the little
traveler pieces that take up slack in the various moving pieces of the
center rest, and keep the lathe cutting accurately, [removes free play and
leaves just enough clearance to hold a layer of oil] .. also, each of the
gibs should have a "gib wiper seal" which keeps chips and debri from
getting between the gibs and the way they travel on. If the gib wiper seals
are dry and hard, the lathe operator contributed to its abuse.
3. Check all the lead screws for wear and excess free play. Lead screws are
what keep tight cutting tool position, so if they have wear you don't have
an accurate, repeatable cutting lathe.. ALSO.. each lead screw runs against
a lead screw nut, which should have been kept lubricated and should not be
worn [but often are].. You will find typically 3 lead screws,
  1.a. A lead screw that lays under the bed front and moves the cross slide
back and forth. Visual inspect it for wear, also, that lead screw is
engaged via a split nut, which lets you move the center rest [with cutting
tool] by hand or, by closing the split nut and engaging the lead screw, let
the lathe drive the cut to the cut speed you have selected, or, to make
threads [again, via the gear selection you made ]... If the lead screw is
worn, OR the split nut is worn, threads won't cut right, long smooth cuts
won't be made.
  2.a There will be two more lead screws in the cross slide, both with
fixed nuts, unless the lathe has power cross slide, then they will be split
nuts.
Again, inspect closely for wear, amount of free play, etc.. rule is, more
free play yields sloppy cut control and less accurate results.
4. Chuck [or chucks] what does it have and how beat up are they?
5. Tailstock tooling... what does it come with?
6. Does it have a collet adapter that lets you chuck and hold small parts
for repeat cuts and production of small parts?
7. Look at and carefully inspect the gearbox.. are the bearings tight or
worn, are the gears in good condition, or is there evidence of damage?
8. What type of drive is used to get the power from the motor to the lathe?
Is it flat belt or V belt.. [1938 would most likely have been flat belt
drive as delivered,, has it been converted, if so, was it done nicely..
9. Electronics? Visually inspect the work of whoever did it to ensure it
was done nicely,,, not a kluge job.
10. Replacement parts: Are they available, from where, and for how much.
Is there a parts manual and a maintenance manual anywhere in the world?
You will find 1938 manuals for machine tools are extremely detailed and
written for the presumed professional machinist... which is refreshing.
Good luck, and enjoy it, making things is the male equal of female shopping.
[Don't forget the tool shopping list to support your new addiction, ]