I know how to solve this real easily.

Just drop a note to your insurance company that you are using amonia
based refrigerant in your car.

On 6/19/06, ned kleinhenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Relax, Friends.

I don't think it is likely anyone will start using ammonia in automotive A/C
systems very soon.
But I've done a little engineering work with ammonia refrigeration.  And
ammonia can be dangerous.
But let's put it in perspective.  Many cars contain about 120 lbs of
gasoline.  A typical A/C unit would contain maybe 2 or 3 lbs of ammonia.
The heating value of gasoline is in the range of 20,000 BTU/lb.  Ammonia is
8,000 BTU/lb.  The UEL to LEL range for gasoline is 1.2% to 7.1%.  That
range for ammonia is 15% to 28%  (It is far easier to create and explosive
mixture of gasoline and air than ammonia and air.)

By my rectal estimate, you would be 150X more likely to get fried by the
gasoline in that car that t-bones your diesel, than by some ammonia in the
A/C system of your diesel.

(Interestingly - the the probablility of getting killed by inhaling or
igniting diesel fumes is so low, none of my references even disucss it.)

When I was a child, my father had my grandparents' original Fridgidaire
refrigerator in his office.  That thing had an ammonia charge.
We never thought about it being dangerous.  When its control circuit burned
out after 50 or 60 years of continuous service, it had never lost and ounce
of ammonia.   My father took it way -- way out back and cut one of the
refrigerant lines and ran.  When all the ammonia had all gone, he removed
the nice little 2 cylinder compressor and used it to fill tires ever since.

Ned Kleinhenz
'95 E300D x2
'85 300D
'80 300TD