> I guess the next question would be is it bad to run it with it not starting
> up? It appears to time out after a few seconds anyway.

Bad, yes.  You are counting on the thermal breaker to pop to prevent
the winding from frying.  These self-reset with time, so it will continue
to cycle.  This will heat the winding (not good) and cycle the thermal
breaker (also not good), which could wear out.  In the worst-case scenario,
the motor catches on fire when the thermal breaker stops doing its job.

The motor is drawing _starting_ current during this time, many times more
than normal running current.  Heat, heat, heat.  Bad, bad, bad.

-- Jim