on 6/22/06 2:48 PM, David Brodbeck at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In my case, it's because I don't feel like buying all new hardware,
> software, and peripherals, while paying more money for lower
> performance.  For example, my PC's 128 megabyte GeForce4 video card, by
> no means a state-of-the-art design, runs rings around the 64 megabyte,
> non-upgradable video subsystem in my SO's Mac Mini.
>
> I like MacOS X, but not all the other stuff that goes with it, frankly.
> And MacOS X puts you on the same treadmill Windows does, making you buy
> upgrades on a regular basis as then end-of-life older versions and stop
> providing bug fixes.

Hear, hear.

Another note is that, based on what I read over about a year on the iMac
mailing list, the transition to OS X on older iMacs like mine is often *not*
a straightforward issue.

Lots of cries for help from people who followed all the steps, but either
did something out of turn or it just plain did not work. They always get it
done in the end, but if I wanted that sort of hassle and grief I'd be on a
WinTel platform already.

Mac(Sween)