If the Cummins were half as common to find for a reasonable price I would LOVE to use one. Would be the best choice for my M37 as well.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mitch Haley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] NY eBay parts SDL

Jim Cathey wrote:

It's a bit low for optimum torque.  I think most MB engines would
be happier at about 2400 RPM.  My genset plans always include a
transmission as well for this reason.

If you can get a mbz for scrap metal prices, it's worth looking for
a 2400rpm generator head. Otherwise, why not use a Cummins 4bt from
an old bread truck?  With torque peak around 1600, they should be
quite happy with a 4 pole generator.