Pretty much forever Texas has been on its own grid with I think one
interconnect in North Texas to some other grid. There was a huge amount of
installed wind generation in West Texas which was fine until one very frigid
New Year’s Day in like 09 or 10 the wind just died. No wind power which was a
very substantial fraction of supply at the time. Caused huge problems getting
units up and running on the holiday and very cold day.

--FT
Sent from iFōn

> [...]
>>
>>> On Tue, May 9, 2023, 12:13 PM OK Don via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry to interrupt the ongoing reviews of over priced used Mercedes, but I
>>> found this interesting - not what I expected:
>>>
>>> "Norway is more than a decade ahead of the U.S. in its adoption of electric
>>> vehicles. If the Biden administration's goal of having 50 percent of new
>>> vehicles be electric by 2030 sounds ambitious
>>> <
>>> https://theweek.com/climate-change/1022585/are-americans-ready-to-transition-to-evs
>>> Norway passed that mark in 2019, *The New York Times* reports
>>> <
>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/08/business/energy-environment/norway-electric-vehicles.html
>>> In 2022, 80 percent of Norway's new car sales were electric, and it plans
>>> to phase out gas-powered cars entirely in 2025. So far, "Norway's
>>> experience suggests that electric vehicles bring benefits without the dire
>>> consequences predicted by some critics
>>> <
>>> https://theweek.com/electric-vehicles/1022859/autos-fast-tracking-the-electric-future
>>> the *Times* reports.
>>>
>>> Oslo's air is noticeably cleaner — and much quieter — and its greenhouse
>>> gas emissions have dropped 30 percent since 2009 with no big uptick in
>>> unemployment at gas stations or auto mechanics, or significant strain on
>>> the electrical grid. Norway has put a lot of work into making the
>>> transition, starting with enacting policies to promote electric vehicles in
>>> the 1990s and, more recently, subsidizing the rollout of fast-charge
>>> stations throughout the country.
>>> The combination of tax breaks for EV owners and readily available charging
>>> stations "took away all the friction factors," Volvo Cars CEO Jim Rowan
>>> told the *Times*. But the U.S. and other countries can learn from Norway's
>>> challenges with electric cars, not just its successes. That includes
>>> figuring out the optimal number and locations for charging stations, and
>>> dealing with the frustrations of new EV drivers learning to plug in their
>>> cars. "Sometimes we have to give them a coffee to calm down," Marit
>>> Bergsland, who works at a Circle K north of Oslo with more charging
>>> stations than gas pumps, tells the *Times*. "
>>>
>>> --
>>> OK Don
>>>
>>> "Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
>>> are wearing."
>>>
>>> "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to
>>> pause and reflect." Mark Twain
>>>
>>> “Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”
>>> Werner
>>> Von Braun
>>>
>>> "In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
>>> In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be
>>> doing it."
>>>       -- Richard W. Hamming, The Art of Doing Science and Engineering
>>> 2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
>>> 1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!