  Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:44:23 -0700
From: Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Portable Start Devices
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

> I looked at these a couple years ago when I needed portable power to
> run the block heater on my 240D. I came to the conclusion that
they're
> all too small to be much use unless you're just fighting a weakened
> battery. Most were like [EMAIL PROTECTED] which isn't enough to start a
diesel.

Most of them don't have full-power 12V outputs, they're just tapping
the field generator for you.  If it were designed for full output at
+12V it would be pretty strong.

When jump starting, the donor battery is only doing part of the work,
the majority of the starting energy is coming from the charge imparted
to the formerly-dead battery.  Unless you have some seriously oversized
jumper cables.

-- Jim