Emissions weren’t really bad until around 1974, which is probably peak
emissions junk on cars from my recollection. Manufacturers had some time to put
stuff on the cars, and form about 1970 to 1972-3, from what I’ve seen Mercedes
dealt with it on gassers by playing games with timing and that’s about it. It
wasn’t until 1974 and later where they got all crazy with cadillac converters.

-D