Someone who buys a diesel engine car is in my mind already more mechanically
involved and invested in the car than someone who buys a gasoline engine car.

A new gasoline engine Mercedes is a status symbol, a fashion accessory.

A diesel engine Mercedes is a considered purchase, by someone who has at least
enough interest in the engine to choose it.

The owner of a diesel Mercedes probably would know better than to drive it
after the belt came off.