My parent's neighborhood had sort of an association. Membership was voluntary
and they had no real authority. They mostly did stuff like organizing
weeding/landscaping cleanups at the entrances to the neighborhood, petition the
city for better streetlights and park improvements, stuff like that. If
someone's property was an eyesore they might request cleanup or even offer to
help but they couldn't really do anything unless it was so bad that city code
violations were happening.