ned kleinhenz wrote:
I'm considering replacing the timing chain on my '95 E300D.  It is stretched
2.5 deg.
I know it can still go a while before replacement, but would replace it now
if a new one could significantly improve my fuel economy.

I'm currently getting like 32 or 33 mpg.  Assuming $3 per gallon of fuel, if
a $100 timing chain improves fuel economy by 1 mpg, it would pay for itself
in less than 20,000 mi. (and that is only 6 or 8 months for me.)

Seems like Marshall or someone once stated some rough correlation between
chain stretch and mpg's.  Does anyone remember the numbers?

Small changes in valve or injection timing have very minor influence on fuel consumption. More noticeable when stretch exceeds about 5 degrees.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)