I replaced both front shocks over the weekend and both were trash.

I tried to determine if there was anything I did last last time to cause
VERY early failure but this job is so straight forward it would be hard to
do it wrong.  Over tightening the shaft nut would not be a good thing but I
had not done that.

I R&R the steering dampner but the old one is still good and I'll reuse it
one day.

My other SDL that I've owned twice as long and uses the same dirt road has
no hint of a shock problem.  I don't know what brand of shocks it has but I
know the suspenion is not nearly as tight as this one.

Wait and watch.

Harry Watkins
Newton, MS
86 SDL Silver