To: "Diesel List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:49 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Oil thread

Note: What follows is an attempt to humorous, please do not attempt to inject any measure of serious discussion into this. I've recently discovered I hate my job and am now taking steps to introduce serious levity into my dreary little life...

Last month at camp Dad and I were getting out the lawnmower so we could mow where we were planning to plant trees. We're developing a treefarm you see and planting in short grass is much more pleasant than tall grass. SO I asked dear old Dad if we shouldn't change the oil in said 4 year old 13hp MTD mower. Nah, he said, it started well enough, its got plenty of oil in it, it'll be fine. Note here that last year when I changed the oil I didn't put in the synthetic oil I usually use because we didn't have enough hanging around AND we'd discovered that when filled with Mobil 1 10w30 my Grandmothers old Craftsman rear engine 8hp leaks badly. So I'd used just regular 10w30.

Dad mowed a patch and then quit for lunch, after lunch he went out mowing again and I took my 7hp Cub Cadet out to grade the camp road with its back blade. Within about 10 minutes I noticed Dad strolling down the camp road so I quit gradeing and went over to see what was up. It turns out the MTD had thrown a rod CLEAN OUT THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE. Leaving a big old hole. "Gee thats what the bottom of the piston looks like....

 So I'm blaming this entirely on the lack of Mobil 1 in the crankcase...

On a side note with the MTD dead we needed to revive the backup mower which is an old (well '91 but its got a million hours on it) White 11hp. We got that running by jumpstarting it off the truck, one jumper cable to the frame, one to the starter...
 I put Mobil 1 in that RIGHT AWAY and it ran great.

 -Curt