Hey Jim, thanks for the link.  Are you still running the isobutane/propane
mix in your rigs?  I was recently given an ancient Bear brand A/C recovery
unit (minus some key components), so now I have access to lots of spare R-12
hoses and fittings.  I gather it would be unwise to operate the vehicle
without an auxillary electric fan, eh?  I had to remove mine when I
reconfigured the front end for the intercooler installation.  The coolant
temps never even approach 100C under non-A/C driving situations.  I'm
convinced the intercooler helps to mitigate heatsoak during prolonged
highload conditions, like steep grades and such.

I have the R-12 gauges, vacuum pump and new dryer, but I guess I should get
an IR thermometer and some isobutane at the local outdoor store, but I don't
know where to find mineral oil (there's currently none in the system right
now).  Not sure what to tell my co-worker, a local shop's phonebook ad says
they work on R12 systems, but their website indicates that these must be
converted to 134a.  I think the typical older vehicle owner is ass-out.