Replaced the bad alternator on the Frontier tonight. Not terrible but not a lot
of room to work. Rust flaking off of everything and falling in my face was not
fun either.

Now down to just resolving the intermittent start issue with the E500. We've
been able to get it to start every time by pulling and re-seating the starter
relay, so hoping that's the problem.

I found a fuse diagram that says the starter relay fuse should be 15A, or 20A
on 2007 and later models. Mine is a 2004 and it has a 20A fuse installed so I
wonder if it has a history of blowing fuses. The relay is sold as a "Mercedes
Multifunction Relay - Hella 0025421119" not specifically as a "Starter Relay"
so I'm wondering if it's not quite up to the job and eventually the contacts
degrade from trying to switch too much current.

Anyway a new relay is in transit from FCP Euro so I hope that resolves the
problem. If it does, I'll order another one to keep in the glove box.