Ze Deutsche engineers know vat iss gut fur ze auto!

--FT

On 9/1/23 2:36 PM, Donald Snook via Mercedes wrote:
I watched a couple of Motorweek Retro Reviews (which I really like) and the
were reviewing the 124. The videos I watched were from 86, 90 and 92. In them,
Motorweek loved the 124, but was critical of the tires saying they were too
narrow and too soft.

I’m wondering if I could upsize the tires on my 90 300E without changing the
wheels.  I don’t need or want to put stupid-big wheels or tires on it. But,
maybe just a slight increase. The current size is 195/65/15.  I tried a few
online calculators and I think the 6.5J wheel will allow a tire up to 215.

I found some 205/65/15 that would likely work. According to the calculators,
it’s a pretty small difference.

Am I wasting my time? Is that small of an increase going to make any
difference?   I don’t drive aggressively.  My one issue with the current tires
is they are Michelin Premiere a/s which are good tires but they tend to wear
quickly.  I have had them on other vehicles and they were comfortable and
quiet, but the lifetime is about half of many other Michelin.

Donald H. Snook

--FT