On 2023-09-05 17:26, Floyd Thursby via Mercedes wrote:
My thinking is that oil today is so much better than it was 30yr ago, or at least "better" whatever that means, so using any decent synthetic is going to work fine.

What my industry contact says:

If it's certified API SP, GF-6, or Dexos1 Generation3, just about any "American" oil is going to be made to meet the standard as cheaply as possible. But that's OK, the standard is a very high hurdle. Doesn't matter if it's Kendall, M1, Syntec, Valvoline, or Pennzoil, the oils all perform the same. EU advertising standards are higher, if it's sold in EU as 'synthetic', it's made with more expensive base stocks than USA 'synthetic'. In USA 'synthetic' means 'whatever we want it to mean'.

One known exception: Redline exceeds SP. But my oil guy will charge me 2-3x as much as he'll sell me Kendall for.

Royal Purple is no better than anything else.
Luqui Moly didn't enter the conversation, so I can't say if it's considered premium or not.

If it doesn't have the API logo on it, you don't want it, no matter how flowery the advertising lingo is. Oil guy speaks well of Warren made private label oils, including Amazon, Kirkland, or SuperTech. My last oil purchase was two 160oz jugs of Kirkland for $32 on sale. I could have gotten a 6 gallon bag in a box of Kendall as cheaply or cheaper, but I no longer use enough 5W30 to buy 24 qts at a time.